- Parakeets and Budgies. These smart and colorful little parrots are easy to tame and wildly entertaining, making them a longtime favorite among bird lovers everywhere.
- Cockatiels. Relatively quiet and affectionate, Cockatiels are a great choice for those who have time to handle and interact with their bird several times a day.
- Finches and Canaries.Preferring to stay in small flocks in flight cages, Finches and Canaries are a good option for the new bird owner that wants to look, but not touch. Although they can be very sensitive to environmental factors and are known to make quite a mess for their small size, they continue to remain popular pets. These tiny birds, in general, do not tolerate handling well, but are beautiful to look at and offer pleasant songs.
- Doves. Gentle, calm, and quiet, Doves make great pets for bird owners that don't want to deal with the vocalizations inherent to most hookbills. Handfed Doves can make wonderfully affectionate pets, and true to their symbolism, are all around one of the most peaceful pet bird species out there.
- Green Cheek Conures. Smaller in size and quieter than most Conures, Green Cheeks have a reputation for being highly trainable, intelligent, affectionate pets. They bond strongly to their owners, however, and need a good deal of attention and interaction from their caregivers. Nonetheless, a committed first time owner could consider the Green Cheek Conure a good starter bird.
Photo courtesy of Wilma Crawford.