1. Home

The debate rolls on about whether or not it's important to cover a bird's cage at night when they go to sleep. What is your opinion on the matter? Other bird owners would like to hear from you, and so would I! Whether you cover your bird's or not, we want to know your reasons. Check out "Do You Cover Your Bird's Cage at Night?" to post your response and see what other bird owners are saying!

Comments

December 4, 2009 at 10:09 am
(1) Laura says:

I have always had a budgie in my house. Not only do I cover them at night but in the winter, I live in Ottawa Canada, I have a heating pad on low wrapped around the back of the cage. This helps keep the cage free of drafts, allows me to turn the heat down in the house at night and the cage remains toasty. I love my little white budgie Cuddles he is six, healthy and cute

December 4, 2009 at 10:30 am
(2) terri sue says:

my husband and i have seventeen birds in nine cages. they all get covered at night. i feel it is important to help them get the sleep they need. a lot of people have a sleep room for their birds. we live in a rather small house without that luxurie. by covering their cages they do not wake as early as they would normally. all of our birds are loved and doted on. they are our babies now that our children havegrown and moved on.

December 4, 2009 at 10:31 am
(3) Patricia Lowery says:

Depends on the bird…I have two Umbrella “Toos” that INSIST on being covered…if not they scream! The others want to be covered if it’s cold, otherwise they’re perfectly happy. Of course if you enjoy sleeping in and don’t like the sounds being awakened by your babies first seeing the sunlight, by all means cover them !!!!!

December 4, 2009 at 10:51 am
(4) morekare says:

We have hundreds of birds (Tiels, Budgies, Canaries, and Finches) which we have had for more than ten years. We keep our birds in aviaries in our livingroom/diningroom. My husband and I are retired now, so we don’t entertain humans much anymore so we turned our large livingroom/diningroom into our “Bird Room”. We close the wooden shutters every night at the same time and close the doors so our birds have a darkened and quiet (except for a cricket) room to sleep and replenish their abundant energy.

December 4, 2009 at 10:52 am
(5) mary beth says:

Hello,
I have 2 cockatiels. I cover them at night to keep them warm and to help them be in the dark. Dark compared to a lighted room. It is part of their bedtime routine, and when I say “bedtime guys” !! one is fine, the other, a younger male resists, vocally.
He does step up on my finger to go into his cage with reluctance, hanging on the front of the cage giving me ‘the look’!!
It is the covering that signals to them that it is time to sleep and stop talking, although I do get the occasional “peek a boo” from him. The older bird naps through the day, but my talker does not. They need a good sleep, and, so do I !!
Covering generally brings instant quiet for all of us! They spend most of the day on top of their cages, and play area, so bedtime, is time for sleep inside their cage. They both have their own beds(large feeding cups) and love them.

December 4, 2009 at 11:07 am
(6) Sheila says:

I cover our 10 birds in 4 cages each night and turn out the lights as I enjoy the quiet time. We are retired so our birds are our kids. They get attention during the day and night is for the tired folks to enjoy each other and the fireplace.

December 4, 2009 at 11:16 am
(7) HELEN says:

I don’t cover my birds at night time.Unless it is really cold in my home.I have 10 birds in my home (cockateils,lovebirds,&a few finches.) I live in Indiana so it verys on how cold it gets around here.If it gets like really cold at nite then i will cover them.No matter on if they are covered or not they still make alot of noise.So I don’t see a need to cover.

December 4, 2009 at 12:00 pm
(8) anne says:

i have a parakeet named willow,and she is ready to be covered for the night; she hangs on the side of her cage. she becomes loud and that’s your signal to cover her up for the night. once covered she becomes quiet and goes to sleep. i keep the back of her covered at all times. we live in north dakota, where wind chills can reach as low as 50 to 60 below. i liked the idea of the heating pad, never tried it for fear of it hurting willow. she likes to peck at everything. any other helpful hints on keeping your bird warm in thye winter. i would be grateful.

December 4, 2009 at 12:25 pm
(9) Linda says:

In the wild, birds are natural prey animals. The need to be alert and ‘on guard’ at all times is instinctual. Covering them up at night, at a time when feel very vulnerable, not only promotes the long, uninterrupted, healthful sleep they require, but makes them feel more safe than they would if they were ‘exposed’ (cage uncovered) to predators.

December 4, 2009 at 12:44 pm
(10) ros meedendorp says:

I always cover my two budgies and my finch , when evening comes,it helps them to get some healthy sleep , and it allows me my time for some peace and quiet .I live in a small bedsit so as well as letting them sleep more soundly they re staying that bit warmer during the colder months and the cold draughts aren`t able to get thru.

December 4, 2009 at 1:14 pm
(11) Lou Herkalo says:

I ALWAYS COVER MY BIRD AT NIGHT. HE IS A CONURE & CAN BE VERY NOISEY! IF IM ON THE PHONE OR THE COMPUTER HE WILL HAVE A TEMPER TANTRUM. HE WANTS ATTENTION ALL THE TIME. BUT AS SOON AS I COVER HIM HE WILL NOT TALK OR SCREAM. HE HAS A BELL IN THE CAGE, SO HE RINGS IT SOFTLY UNTIL I TURN THE TV OFF, OR WHENHE WAKES UP & WANTS OUT.
HE IS 20 YR’S OLD & THATS HOW LONG HE HAS BEEN COVERD AT NIGHT. I WAS TOLD THAT A BIRD NEEDS 13 HOURS OF LIGHT & 12 HOURS OF DARKNESS. I GUESS IT WORKS!!

December 4, 2009 at 2:07 pm
(12) Ada says:

Cover at night! I truly believe they feel more secure, and, therefore, are happy birds. When my Senagal awakes, he calls out “Good Morning!” and won’t stop until the cover comes off. The Loree will peek under the opening when he wants his cover off, but will not stop muttering until he is covered at night. I’m sure they also feel warmer in the winter, since the house temp is set for low, but the same goes during the summer. They want to be covered!

December 4, 2009 at 2:32 pm
(13) Sue says:

We have Joey our lovebird and have had two parakeets in the past. All of them have been covered at night and when Joey gets really vocal it quiets her down. She seems to not like some of my nighttime TV programs, so that works doubly, lol. (My parakeets used to sleep during the day, but Joey does not.) I use a large light-weight blanket, and a beach towel on top of that during colder months since I turn the heat down during the night. I even asked the ladies who work at the bird store where I buy her food, and they also suggested covering at night. I also agree that it makes birds feel secure.

December 4, 2009 at 7:11 pm
(14) margaret says:

I have two Parakeets named prince and princess. I don’t always cover my birds at night. But when it get below say in the thirdies I might do so as they have their cage next to a set of sideing glass doors
I have had parakeets for many years and these are
the newest ones.

December 4, 2009 at 8:45 pm
(15) anita says:

We have 3 birds–2 parakeets and a cockatiel (rescue). I cover them at night; I think they rest better. Their cages are in the living room where my husband who is disabled spends most of the day. He has helped the cockatiel get over her fear of men. She thinks she is his “bodyguard bird”
and likes that job. She sits on his shoulder when he uses the walker to walk to the kitchen and back. Our dog knows the birds and accepts them–never tried to hurt them. I think covering is the only way to go.

December 4, 2009 at 10:21 pm
(16) Kim says:

We don’t cover the cages of our blue & gold Macaw or our Umbrella Cockatoo. They have there seperate cages in their own room. When it gets dark at nite, their room gets dark. When the morning sun comes up, their room gets light. We did cover both birds last year and found that it upset them due to the fact that they could not see eachother. When we had just the Cockatoo, he did do better when covered at night as he was in the living room. I think the birds are now on a “natural” sleeping schedule. With the cages not covered at night, the mornings are much quieter, they do not feel like they are “missing out” on anything. Is there a right answer, I think it depends on your bird.

December 5, 2009 at 2:15 am
(17) Ellen says:

I used to have a 19 yr old cockatiel – Sammi and still have
a parakeet – 9 years old.The cockatiel died last Feb. 2009.
Right after I got Sammi-in 1991 I soon started covering
his cage until it was absolutely black inside. He immediately adjusted to it. It took a thick towel and his
normal white sheet to get it black in his cage. I had read
a bird care book that stressed that all birds need pitch black to sleep by and minimum of 12 to 16 hours at a time.
When it is really hot, like it is in high summer, I have to let
up. It gets cold in the Pac. N.W. in winter at night so I do not
let the temp in the room below 71 or 72. This is also the
first parakeet I have had to the age of nine. I would never
let my birds go uncovered. I also leave the white sheet on
over 2/3rds from the back. I believe that it gives the feel-
ing of security to them. I am so happy to hear that there
are so many that keep the covers on during the day, too.

December 5, 2009 at 11:21 pm
(18) Frances says:

My birds are moved from room to room, wherever I am they are, I cover when the sun goes down. They are very chatty and loud, a cover quiets them and makes them feel secure.

December 12, 2009 at 6:22 pm
(19) cheryl says:

My four cockatiels each have a sleep tent which they use 99.9% of the time.

February 25, 2010 at 11:25 pm
(20) Megan says:

Yes, I do. I have four birds. I cover them to help keep them warm if its cold/chilly, keep there cages darker for the night, and to help them feel safer and more relaxed while they sleep. They like to be covered, I dont ever hear a peep…..

September 13, 2010 at 2:54 pm
(21) Richard Rolloff says:

Has anyone found a way to automate covering of cages?

September 17, 2010 at 1:09 pm
(22) Steve says:

We have two Afican Greys. We used to cover them. They chewed big holes in our hand sewn cover. Since they are in a double cage together in our office, with their own glass door to the patio, and an interior door we can close, we no longer cover them. When we take them with us, in their travel cage, they do get covered. Since both generally let us know when they want to “go to bed”, keeping them quite once they get there is not a problem. The female has to sit alone on the shower door in the bathroom for about a half hour before she goes to “bed”. We have not figured out this behavior.