1. Home

Parakeet Breeding Basics

By May 30, 2008

Is love in the air for your Parakeets? If are are interested in Parakeet breeding, then there are many things that you should know before attempting to breed your own birds. For some insight into the way things work, check out this new article on Parakeet Breeding Basics. You may be surprised at how much actually goes into successfully breeding Parakeets and other birds.

Photo: Siede Preis/Getty Images

Comments

October 22, 2009 at 2:41 pm
(1) Jerry says:

I have a large cage 3x5x5 enclosed with chicken wire. I have 3 females and 2 males. One male and one female are yellow. The other male is the brother of the 2 blue females. The females have laid eggs but do not mature. Is it because they are related? I have short soft logs that the females clean out and lay eggs. Sometimes the other females bother each other while nesting,why? Do they have to be kept in separate cage as a pair instead of the large cage? HELP

October 29, 2009 at 10:39 pm
(2) Wayne Smith says:

I have 3 pairs that I have in my cage, 1 of the pairs laid eggs and only 1 of 5 hatched. The other male have been mating for a few days now and she’s not laid any eggs yet. What could be wrong?

Thanks,

Wayne

November 19, 2009 at 8:51 pm
(3) debra says:

According to info I have read, and what I have observed with my parakeets is…you should separate the breeding pairs as they are territorial. If the female is bothered she will not sit on her eggs. I have a flight cage and once the nest box is introduced the females become competative and tend to bicker. Once the divider is inserted and the breeding pair are separated, the female nests and sits on her eggs, the male tends to her, and she will come out periodically to stretch and eat. If there are other birds in their area this does not happen she spends too much time defending her box to sit on the eggs.

May 12, 2010 at 9:28 pm
(4) stephen says:

I just got a male for my female to keep her company and I also attached a breeding box to the side of the cage. The male is an olive green with the blue flesh above his beak where his nostrils are. She is green with yellow wings and tail. The flesh is pink where her nostrils are yet she’s never laid any eggs while she’s been alone. Could it be that she is not a female but yet a male? I always thought that was to be determined by the flesh color above the beak.

July 31, 2010 at 11:45 am
(5) araine says:

i have two female parakeets, both had eggs, both in same nesting box, the male, as well as another female are feeding both mothers. they get along awesome, is this normal? some of the eggs have hatched and young are a week and a half old. there is no fighting. i have searched every site and asked everyone i know and nobody has ever heard of such a thing. anyone else experienced this?

September 8, 2010 at 8:59 pm
(6) Frances says:

I think you have an unusual situation with your birds, I’m not an expert. I would separate the breeding pairs prior to the next breeding. They may not be as amiable the next time. My small flock get along very well, they have their ups and downs. My female mated with my blue english, had four eggs, two hatched. My green male stole the nest and I had to move the blue male. Interesting to watch.

August 23, 2011 at 1:56 am
(7) philip says:

from what i have seen of my keets, they do allot better in colony, i have close to 12 breeding pairs in my aviary, they are social birds and get along just fine, some females will fight if they are housed in small cages, but usually males will be happy to share females. note if u have a few females in a flight cage add 1 to 2 nest for each female so they can have choices and not fight.. buy the way i think the keet logs are better than nest boxes, and more natural.

thanks Philip.

November 28, 2011 at 12:26 am
(8) Winston Joseph says:

I presently have six parakeets but I am still confessed as to male and female. One of my male parakeet turned out to be a female laying three eggs. She has blue over her beak like the other male and is the most dominant bird in the cage. As of today, she has manage to lay three eggs but spends very little time in the box. Is she going to finally sit on her eggs, or will she abundant then all together?

Has anyone ever seen a red parakeet, if so where can I go to buy red parakeet or one with shades of red? Please email me at Winstonjo@aol.com.

Thanks in Advance.

December 5, 2011 at 1:34 am
(9) Turtle says:

Can a boy parakeet mate with two girls? Cuz i think mine did . . .

January 20, 2012 at 12:14 am
(10) Brady says:

I have a gray-green (olive) female and a natural green male. What color possibilities could be present in their offspring?

January 28, 2012 at 9:16 pm
(11) Jessica says:

Umm I’m only ten but I have 2 parrakeets and they smooch and I bought them a little house its like plush and 4×4 inches is that enough? Also how old do they have to be to breed? Well and what are the real requirements for breeding?

Please tell me the real answers at firedot16@flail.com

February 8, 2012 at 5:14 pm
(12) Jessica says:

Uhh plz help I’m ten and I need help with my two parakeets. Do they have to have a nesting box, can they have a mediem sized cozy home? Also how old do they have to be? And how do I get them to breed cuz my girl(snow) tries to get on him sometimes and the boy(peeps) always runs away,but they still kiss like really hard.

Please,please, answer at firedot16@gmail.com

March 8, 2012 at 10:35 pm
(13) joan foster says:

how long after budgies are fledged do mating pairs have eggs again?

March 15, 2012 at 7:32 am
(14) vhin says:

hi guys

i hav pair of parakeet they old about 4years now. in 2years old i breed them and the hen lay 4eggs for their first batch of only 3eggs hatch. in 2nd laying period i get 4eggs again but no one hatch. now every time the hen lay egg they always kick/throw their egg outside the nesting box.

any advice will be appriciate.

now my 1st batch of keets also lay egg, im thinking i just transfer the egg of their mother to them. is that possible to be hatch? bec i know the egg is fertile! im just worried that they wont take care the egg of their mother.

thanks alot in advance for comment in my prblem. u can send mail
markalvinvayson@gmail.com

May 11, 2012 at 1:37 am
(15) Linda says:

My male and female have made babies..ie laid eggs. I have observed that this particular pair are sharing the nest. when they bred before this male stayed pretty much, out of the nest…Now he is in the nest as much as the female. should I be concerned.

July 16, 2012 at 2:14 am
(16) Sebstiun says:

Jessica yes u do need a breeding box but for better results u need to get a keet log they sell them at traders village here in arlington and also for people who dont know a male from female a male has blue above his beak and females have pink above her beak my name is sebastiun and im 10 years old

July 16, 2012 at 2:24 am
(17) Sebstiun says:

oh and what is the maximum amount of eggs do they lay? my birds love each other like crazy and im trying to make a bird bizniz so i will post my adress when they finish the nest and breed.oh and leave me a message if u want more info on the prices and the amount of eggs they have at wolfhome.com

July 16, 2012 at 2:28 am
(18) Sebstiun says:

Oh yea my username on wolfhome is sebastiunt

July 16, 2012 at 2:32 am
(19) Sebstiun says:

Oh and yes jerry u have 2 seperate them

July 16, 2012 at 2:39 am
(20) Sebstiun says:

Yes jerry u do need to sperate them

July 16, 2012 at 3:03 am
(21) Sebstiun says:

Oh sorry i said it twice.crap

July 24, 2012 at 1:14 am
(22) Sebstiun says:

Hey email me at sebastiunt@hotmail.com and find out exact amount of money per bird and my address.hey ill also throw in a discount first one to email me

November 23, 2012 at 5:33 pm
(23) janice says:

I believe that I have 2 female parakeets only. One kept going to the floor and tearing things up-making a mess and the other seemed to get annoyed, so I separated them into different cages. A few weeks later, one of them is laying eggs on bottom of cage and now sitting on them. The other in nearby cage is sitting on imaginary eggs. What is going on? Could these eggs be fertile? And, if not, should I remove them or will bird be upset?